Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Toxins in your Garden

Spring has come early, and many of you have already been tending to your gardens. Please pay very close attention to what you are planting and how much access your pets have to your garden. Only a small percentage of plants are toxic to your pets, but you'd be surprised at how often you'll find them in your garden, or in your home.

CAUTION: many store-bought bouquets include lilies or tulips
Lilies: true lilies (Tiger, Day, Asiatic, Easter and Japanese Show lilies) are all highly toxic to cats, and should never be in a place your cat could have access to it. Other lilies are less toxic, but could still cause gastrointestinal upset for your furry friend. Seek emergency care for any amount of ingestion of this plant.

Sago Palm: usually in warmer climates, can be seen indoors or outdoors. This plant is extremely toxic to pets, and if ingestion is left untreated could result in death.  Seek emergency care for any amount of ingestion of this plant.

Many pets (especially cats) enjoy nibbling on nearby foliage
Tulip/Hyacinth: The bulb is the most toxic portion, so keep an eye out if your dog likes to dig in the garden. Though, ingestion of any part of these plants can be toxic to your pet. Seek emergency care or any amount of ingestion of this plant.

These are the most common and most toxic plants. Please check out PetPoisonHelpline.com to learn more about toxic plants that could be in your garden, or your home.

At Lombard Animal Hospital, in Portland, Oregon we strive to increase the quality of life for pets and their people through education, nutrition and wellness!
Give us a call -- We'd love to see you and your pets!

503.285.2337 | wecare@lombardanimalhospital.com | www.lombardanimalhospital.com